The BEST Atlanta Start-Up Immersion Program
The Atlanta BEST Program in conjunction with The Combine is offering a summer immersion program with emerging technology companies to provide real-world experience. The program will consist of the following:
- Our goal is to provide real world, hands-on strategic business experience that is mentored and supervised directly by a technology CEO.
- Companies will provide overview of business and industry at the kickoff
- Teams of 3-5 PhD students and Postdoctoral Fellows will then have an opportunity to select projects designed by companies
- Projects will focus on interns developing a 3-5 year industry trend, market analysis, and potential product requirements
- Specific research deliverables will be defined with sponsoring executive and team
- Expectations of 5-6 hours per week with 1-2 hours for direct meeting with company’s senior executives
- Program runs approximately 8 weeks from beginning of June through end of July
- Kickoff meeting on Thursday, June 2nd at The Combine’s offices at the Garage @ Tech Square – 848 Spring St NW, Atlanta, GA 30308
About BEST Emory and Georgia Tech Partnership
Funded by the National Institute of Health, the Atlanta Best Program is a partnership between Emory University and the Georgia Institute of Technology’s graduate schools and postdoctoral offices that serve biological and biomedical disciplines.
The Atlanta Best Program is focused on preparing the biomedical workforce from Georgia’s two top research institutions for a range of careers within the broader biomedical ecosystem, such as careers in start-up companies, business development, consulting, regulatory, and clinical trials.
Our approach here in Atlanta includes self-reflection, career exploration, business development and leadership training for doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows (collectively named trainees). The Atlanta Best Program provides innovative programmatic alternatives for exposing and training trainees to meet 21st-century scientific workforce needs by engaging in a transformation of the culture of training–in both the top-down and bottom-up approach–by creating new opportunities. This internship program is one of those unique opportunities.
About The Combine
The Combine partners with enterprise organizations and technical founders to convert their promising intellectual property into, viable, scalable businesses with a strict focus on achieving aggressive IRR and multiple targets. We provide direct leadership and structured maturation process to create a proprietary pipeline of investment-grade growth companies.
The Combine takes a hands-on executive role and directly runs each company during the formative stages to minimize execution risk. We take the fledging company from seed capital and approach validation through product commercialization, market launch, customer acquisition, & long-term scale with the necessary growth capital & stand-alone management to maximize investor returns.